Well, one of my character flaws that I am continually trying to improve upon is promptness. I am one of those people who usually seems to be running five minutes behind. So, the other day, in an effort to ensure that I would be able to drop Olivia off at the babysitter's and get to my class on time I was carefully watching the clock, making sure I would be leaving the house on time. I don't know what it is about having kids, but with Olivia it always seems to take me like thirty minutes just to get out the door.
Feeling particularly on-the-ball, with plenty of time before we needed to leave, I packed Olivia's diaper bag with all the necessary items: toys, books, freshly filled sippy cup, snacks, etc. I got the car all loaded up with everything we would need, opened the garage door, grabbed my keys, now I just needed to go get sleeping Olivia from her crib, strap her in her car seat, and presto, I would be leaving the house ten minutes early! Boy was I proud of myself.
When I quietly opened the door to Olivia's room, I knew something wasn't right the second I saw her bare bum and legs through the rails of her crib. Then, as she woke up when I entered the room, Olivia looked at my sleepily and said proudly "Poo-poos!" Ummmm . . .yeah, you could say that AGAIN! Upon closer look I realized that at some point during the last two hours when she had been silently laying in her crib, and I had naively believed she had been sleeping, Olivia had removed her pants and her diaper. After her clean and dry diaper had been removed, she then proceeded to do a huge load, of well . . ."poo-poos." Apparently the "poo-poos" were quite a fun play item, because Olivia had Poo caked on her hands, under her nails, smeared on her crib, stuffed animals, and sheets. She even had chunks of slightly-dried caked poop in her hair. I'm sorry if this description is a little too graphic; I was pretty disgusted myself upon witnessing the sorry scene. Needless to say, one hot soapy bath, a load of laundry, and about twenty minutes later, we were finally leaving the house! It seems Murphy's law works double time when you are a mom.
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
LOL!! Oh, NOO! I'm impressed you even made it out the door. I think I would have just sat down and cried!
Oh man, Caitlin. Sadly, I can sympathize with you. I've resorted to a onesies only rule for bedtime. I have a friend that has actually duct-taped their son's diaper on to avoid this...crazy. Only 20 minutes late??? Pretty impressive, considering.
That sounds TERRIBLE. I thought I understood Murphy's Law of Motherhood, but I clearly don't...well, not yet anyway!
Oh my gosh!! Your story makes me want to dress Avery on one piece pajamas all the time so there's no chance of this happening!! Not something I would enjoy walking into!
At least you made it out of the house! :)
You are a wonderful mom and writer!!!
I am so sorry to be laughing at your pain..but that story was too funny!! Bless Olivia's heart..she is a creative thinker!!!
LOL. I am so glad to find I am not the only mom who has experienced that..numerous times. I was searching other Utah bloggers...maybe it's a Utah thing. :)
Post a Comment